Friday 5 June 2015

My quest for a clutter free existence

I like to have a clean and tidy home. Our house is by no means a show home, far from it. And with an almost two year old charging about, staying neat and tidy is, to say the least, a challenge. 

Day to day I mostly keep on top of things; my kitchen is always clean and the worktops are mostly clear. Toys get put away each and every evening after the little crumpet goes to bed. But it's the small piles of things that don't get put away, or don't have a home that eventually drive me to distraction. Piles of mail, a slowly growing collection of hair bobbles and clips on the dresser in the kitchen, my nail varnish and remover that hurriedly got put up on a shelf when my manicure was interrupted by my toddler waking up from her nap. I seem to simply run out of hours in each day to get to these small things. But they grow and seemingly reproduce in other forms of clutter and eventually it feels like they are creeping across my house like mildew on damp walls! Argh!

I would say that the clutter mildly irritates me. Constantly. Then it will come to a head when I cant stand it any longer and I'll go mad and have a huge rant , shortly followed by a frenzied sweep around the house picking things up and finding places for them to go. 

I am vowing to become more organised and therefore less stressed, calmer and ultimately happier. The pursuit of happiness. How cliché of me!

I have bought myself a planner. I list my chores to be done and smugly tick them off once done. I am charting my water intake (not doing well on this one; too much tea is drunk in this house). But I feel that I do need to address the root of much of my stress: CLUTTER. 

After a comment on one of my favourite Instagram accounts, I have ordered this book from Amazon; The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up.



 'This best-selling guide to decluttering your home from Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes readers step-by-step through her revolutionary KonMari Method for simplifying, organizing, and storing. ' 

I have high hopes! 

Feeling inspired, I had a mini declutter whilst the little one was asleep. Ok, so I did a couple of shelves on our bookcase, but I have two bags to go to charity, a pile to action and a pile to file. Things got put away in their places. I think I will buy some storage boxes, baskets etc, and I have a LONG way to go, but I feel better already! 

Ultimately, I want my home to feel calm, easy to tidy and clean and a place where, at the end of the day, the toys are back in their baskets and toddler is in bed, I can relax, unwind and not have clutter peeking at me from every surface.



I'll keep you updated....

No comments:

Post a Comment